15 January 2008

Il pleut encore

I've finally arrived in Paris, and I'm currently running on two cups of coffee so I can avoid jetlag. Not much to say so far; it's rather dreary outside so I haven't really been out since arriving. Luckily I'm done dealing with the winter weather of Chicago and Bloomington- it's about 50 degrees Fahrenheit here! I haven't yet been in downtown Paris, as my pen pal's mother picked me up from the airport. We drove straight to Draveil, a town south of Paris, where she and my pen pal Claire live. Claire's mother can speak English, but French is preferred (and better for my own education), so I've been speaking French all day with her. I ate my first meal at an almost empty Chinese/Vietnamese restaurant in Draveil. Most of the town commutes to Paris during the day, and Claire is currently at school, so everything seems very quiet so far. No pictures yet, but I'll be sure to post some of Draveil later.

In other news, I finally got my housing assignment last week. I'm staying in Boulogne-Billancourt, a town south of the Bois de Boulogne to the west side of Paris. It's almost completely bordered by the Seine, so I hope it's a pretty town! I have no idea what it's going to be like living there, but my host mother seemed nice in the email she sent me so I think I'll be happy there...guess I'll find out next week.

1 comment:

Livy said...

Sounds like fun! You should have just accidentally slept till 12:30 like I did to combat the jet lag! I love you lots and I'll be texting you soon!